Tuesday, January 5, 2016

January TBR

    Hello, and welcome to 2016!  So far so good on this end, although I've been battling a pretty nasty cold.  I apologize in advance if I don't end up posting Thursday, but I've been pretty busy on top of being sick, planning my little sister's baby shower for next weekend.  Forgive me if I'm a little scatter-brained!  I'm here today to bring you my list of books I'll be attempting to read this month.  Seeing as I only read about 3 books last month, I'll only try to tackle 4 or 5 this month.  We'll see if I can get to them all.

(goodreads.com)

    The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima is the first book in Chima's older, (first?), 5-book fantasy series.  I had originally planned to read this book a few months ago, but never got around to it.  But now I have time!  This book follows a boy named Jack, who is a high school teenager with a heart defect.  One day he skips his very important medicine and actually feels great, superior even to his old self.  He then gets thrown into a secret underground world filled with wizards and enchanters and warriors who live among us normal humans.  I've already started this book and I'm about 200 pages in.  At this point, I'm not loving it as much as Chima's Demon King series, but I'm going to try to read a few more hundred pages before I give up on it.  I'm just not that into it at the moment, but we'll see if that changes by the end of the month.

(goodreads.com)

    Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes is a fantasy series I've heard a lot of great things about.  It's been on my TBR shelf for awhile and now that I have access to it through the library I work at, I can finally read it!  This first book introduces the reader to the three kingdoms of Mytica and their struggle to keep the peace between their realms.  Four very different people in each of the kingdoms become intertwined in the fate of the ruined world.  I think the idea of telling the same story from four different perspectives seems interesting and I've liked other books that have done that as well, so I have high hopes for this one!

(goodreads.com)

    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor just seems like a wild ride!  This is another books I've heard a lot of great things about and the last book in this series came out last year, so I'm looking forward to starting it fresh.  This is also another story about demons and angels I guess, which perked my interest, considering my current obsession with Shadowhunters.  This story takes place in Prague and follows Karou, a budding art student with bright blue hair who gets involved with the wrong sort.  Akiva, a haunted but beautiful soul, will no doubt change Karou's life forever.  The synopsis on the book doesn't really give much away, but I kind of like that because I have no idea what this book is really about other than from what I've heard from other people who've read it already.  Really excited to pick this one up!

(goodreads.com)

    Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan is the first book in Riordan's new middle grade series, which came out last fall.  I am one of those people who've never read Percy Jackson, but what drew me to this particular book was the tie in with vikings and Norse mythology, which is very interesting to me, and the fact that the book takes place partially in Boston, which is my home city.  I recently picked up this book while I was at work and just leafed through all the titles of the chapters and I DIED LAUGHING.  I can't wait to read this and I can't wait it's taken me this long to put it on my TBR.  THAT COVER THOUGH.

(goodreads.com)

   Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare, because I really haven't gotten enough of this series and I'm TRYING to prepare myself for the SHADOWHUNTERS premiere in A WEEK GUYS.  IT'S OFFICIALLY A WEEK AWAY!!  If you still, for some reason, haven't read my synopsis or review of this book already, click the link here or forever hold your peace.  Still keeping track and posting the funniest quotes I find from the books, so hit me up on Instagram to check it out!  I'll be compiling a huge list and posting it to here, maybe this month, once I'm finished gathering the funniest quotes I can find.  Stay tuned!

    There you have it, my  condensed TBR for January.  I feel sad that I can't read as much as I could over the summer, but it will only get more difficult when I start classes at the end of the month.  I'm also trying to pay attention to what I want to read versus what I'm forcing myself to read, hence why I may abort that first book to make room for others.  Always follow your reading instincts!  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment