Thursday, February 4, 2016

February TBR

    Hello all! So today I'm bringing you my February TBR.  As I discussed in my previous post, I will most likely not be posting more than twice a month at this point based on the way my course work is going, (I'm still behind, but quickly catching up!).  I may choose to post a little something regarding Shadowhunters if something crazy happens, but other than that, expect just a wrap-up and TBR from me each month.  That being said, I wanted to do something a little different for this month.  Since I have no idea when I'll be able to read again or what will be available at the library, (which is where I've been getting most of my reading material as of late), I wanted to list a few books that I may end up reading this month and in the wrap-up reveal which ones actually made the cut.  I know it's a bit unorthodox, but I feel like it's the safest way to post a TBR without disappointing everyone at the end of the month when they find out I went totally off script, (like I did in October/November with The Mortal Instruments...)  Since I'm sure that I can't make time to read more than two or three books at this point, here are four books on my radar for February.

(goodreads.com)

    Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes is the second book in the Falling Kingdoms series.  I read the first book last month and loved it, so I'm obviously going to continue with the series.  Without revealing too many spoilers for those of you who haven't read it or haven't heard of it, we left off in Falling Kingdoms with an uprising led by King Gaius, leaving Mytica in shambles as Gaius attempts to merge all three kingdoms into one, led by himself.  Rebel Spring takes place directly after the events of the first book, with Cleo imprisoned in her own castle, Magnus vying for his father's attentions, Lucia discovering her long-dormant powers and Jonas attempting to counter the effects of the uprising with his rebel group.  I'm really enjoying the action and alternative perspectives in this book, so I don't think it'll disappoint me.  I currently have this book with me, so it's likely that I'll actually read it as well.

(goodreads.com)

    Prudence by Gail Carriger is a brand new series for me.  It was recommended by a former staff member of my library and it seemed like my kind of book, so I thought I would give it a try.  This is the first book in The Custard Protocol adult urban fantasy series, which I believe will be at least a trilogy.  It just came out last year and takes place some years after the events of Carriger's first series, The Parasol Protectorate.  Carriger also has a young adult series starting with the book Etiquette and Espionage, which I may pick up as well.  The Custard Protocol series follows a woman named Prudence, (or Rue), as she embarks on a rather pointless journey to India to get tea.  She runs into some supernatural beings and a mysterious plot involving kidnapping along the way.  This series seems to have both elements of steam punk nature as well as supernatural elements, such as vampires and werewolves.  Throw in a Victorian era vibe and some wit and you've hooked me immediately.  Just from reading the synopsis, I'm having flashbacks to my Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series days, which were HILARIOUS, so I'm hoping for more humor than drama in this book.  I also have this book partially in my grasp, so we'll see if I can hold onto it long enough to read it.

(goodreads.com)

    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor is a book I've been TRYING to read for what feels like months now!  I originally made plans to read this book last month, however the person who currently has this book out from the library has yet to return it and has accrued a hefty late fee in the process.  Needless to say I requested it elsewhere, which means it should be in soon.  I've already blurbed this book, so I'll be brief.  It involves demons and angels, art students, magic and urban fantasy.  I've heard nothing but great things about this series, so I'm really eager to dive in!

(goodreads.com)

    Another book that I've been meaning to read sooner but couldn't get my hands on is Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan.  This book has been on my radar ever since I saw that beautiful cover grace my bookshelves at the bookstore where I worked this summer.  I've already read the chapter titles and they were hilarious, so I can't wait to see what the rest of the book has to offer.  This will be my first middle grade book since Harry Potter I think, so we'll see how I feel about that.  Also, I'm a little worried that I won't like the "young-troubled-boy-is-actually-a-descendant-of-greatness-and-gets-sucked-into-a-powerful-battle-against-his-will" trope that I didn't really enjoy in The Warrior Heir.  I'm hoping I can get more into this one since there are vikings, Norse mythology and Boston involved, as well as a lot more humor.  Even though I've never read any other books by Riordan, I'm excited to start my Riordan collection with this particular book.

    Alright, those are my tentative plans for reading in the month of February.  Like I said, I have some of these books already, but I can't hold them forever.  My studies obviously come first, so we'll see what I can make time for.  I really want to at least finish Rebel Spring, so anything after that is gravy as far as I'm concerned.  I also have more going on this month besides school.  My little sister is having her first child and her due date is tomorrow, (!!!!), so I'll be on baby watch this weekend.  I miss reading as much as I did this summer, so hopefully things will settle down soon!  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment