Sunday, November 6, 2016

October Wrap-Up and November TBR

  Hey everyone!  It's been real October, but we're finally into the holiday season, which is easily my favorite time of year (as I'm sure most of you can agree).  I'm not really a Halloween person, so I basically just wait for it to pass until I'm free of it.  I'm really proud of myself for the amount of books I was able to finish this month.  I ended up reading 5 total, which is a huge surge in comparison to other months.  I ended up reading most of the books I wanted to, plus some I had to add for school.  I'm hoping to keep my reading game strong heading into November too.  As usual, I'll start with my October reviews and then move into my TBR for November.

(goodreads.com)

    The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski: This book was a fast read in comparison to the books I usually go for (400-500 pages).  This book pretty much met my expectations.  The world is interesting, but not that exciting.  It reminded me of ancient Rome or the Middle East at times with it's traditions and the war-torn setting.  The characters were standard; one main female character, her trusty side-kick friend and the lone mystery boy who grabs their attention.  There are other characters too, but they are less memorable.  The court scandal and backstabbing made this story interesting.  The ending of this first book in the series leaves plenty of room for an action-packed sequel in which Kestrel must keep up appearances to maintain her position.  I'm curious to see where the story goes from here, but not enough to jump into this world again so soon.  I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

(goodreads.com)

    Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo:  This book was EVERYTHING that I wanted it to be.  Before I start with my review, can I just say that when I got my hands on this beautiful thing I was amazed.  The pages edged in red, along with the whole cover underneath the dust jacket, the black inside.  I was actually really upset with myself that I didn't just go out and buy this series, but I'm trying to save my money for Christmas shopping, so I'll be putting these books at the top of my list for my birthday.  Anyway, in Six of Crows, we left our gang of thieves reeling after a gut-wrenching betrayal and the kidnapping of one of their own.  It was so great to see these guys try to regroup after a devastating loss.  The characters and their motives are what propel this story, so it was interesting to see everyone change gears and adapt some different mentalities as the story progressed.  Jesper has a few breakthroughs in this book with a few different characters.  I loved the tension of this book as well, much stronger than the first book, especially from within the group itself.  The banter was also great and really lightened up the mood a bit, but not too much.  We stay in Ketterdam for most of this book, which was a nice contrast to the questing of the last book.  Seeing the crew work on their own turf obviously gave them an advantage.  The ending was so genuine and well thought out.  My only real critique with this book is that it should have ended a chapter early.  That's literally my only complaint with this book.  I thought the way Kaz and Inej dealt with their relationship was appropriate for them and their situations.  The whole book was heartbreaking and satisfying at the same time.  I obviously gave this book 5 out of 5 stars and I definitely plan on re-reading this again after I get my own copy.

(goodreads.com)

    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman: This one I actually read for a class I'm taking.  I've always wanted to read this graphic novel, but never really felt that I had the right amount of time to devote to reading it.  It took me longer than I expected, but I flew through this.  This nonfiction graphic novel tells the true story of Vladek Spiegelman, retold by his son Art, in the manner of illustrations depicting mice as the Jews and cats as the Nazi Germans.  It's all in black and white, which adds to the morbidity and the seriousness of this book.  The fact that it's real is very humbling.  Art uses his father's own voice, a broken sort of English due to his father's status as an immigrant, which adds more to the story because you can hear him speak.  Art also depicts his own frustration with his father because of Vladek's old ways and customs he just can't let go of.  The book dragged at times, but overall the pacing was what it should be for this kind of in-depth retelling of history.  This book is definitely a must-read for fans of World War II literature.  I gave it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

(goodreads.com)

    The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater: This is the second book in the Raven Cycle series, so I was worried that my memory of the first book that I read a year ago would be a little foggy.  I need not have worried because the book takes off right where we left off.  We learn more about Ronan's talent and about the way the mysterious forest of Cabeswater works.  We are also introduced to a new character, The Gray Man, who gives me the creeps, but is actually more than he seems.  Where the first book is definitely more on the paranormal side, this one adds more fantastical elements.  This book is also more exciting and has more action than the first book.  We learn a little more about each of our characters and it's nice to see the progression each character takes in their development.  I'm already planning on finishing this series sooner rather than later because I don't want to risk forgetting anything.  You really have to pay attention to this story because there are small hints and clues spread throughout.  The way Stiefvater writes is really enthralling and I appreciate her almost poetic version of narrating.  I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.  Only two more to go!

(goodreads.com)

    A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess:  This book caught my eye on someone else's TBR and it sounded interesting, so I decided to pick it up on a whim.  This was also not on my original TBR, so I'll summarize it briefly.  Henrietta Howel (cool name, right?) has the power to burst into flames.  In this alternate version of Victorian London, sorcerers and magicians are not revered, but hunted and killed for possessing magic.  After using her powers to protect her friend Rook from a creature called a Familiar, servants to greater beings known as the Ancients, Henrietta is found out and brought to London to train with other sorcerers.  She finds out that not only are sorcerers not murdered for their powers, but their trained specifically to protect London from the Ancients.  She also finds out that she's the first female sorcerer...or is she?  The premise immediately grabbed me, along with raves from some of my favorite authors.  The similarities to some of my favorite series, like The Infernal Devices and Harry Potter were obvious, and a little weird.  Wands are called "staves," an attack by an Ancient leaves you scarred, and the magic system was somewhat complicated.  Sorcerers and magicians are feuding factions of magic users.  Magicians apparently have the ability to manipulate space and time with their thoughts while sorcerers act as conduits for elemental magic.  It was interesting to see how both magicians and sorcerers use magic in different ways.  The setting was one I've seen and loved before, so that wasn't very difficult to picture.  The fact that Henrietta was the only female in this guild of sorcerers was also interesting.  I thought that, for all the male characters in the story, only two stood out to me.  The author used Magnus and Blackwood for the boys' names, which are obviously Shadowhunter related.  What irked me the most was that Henrietta named her stave "porridge."  I couldn't ever let that go.  The ending I think was the best part because it left room for more questions.  I ended up giving this book 3 out of 5 stars.

(barnesandnoble.com)

    *I also read an audio book this month, which is something I've never done before.  This was also for a class, so I chose a book I've read before and always wanted to re-read.  I've heard wonderful things about Jim Dale and his award-winning narration and I wasn't disappointed.  The story was brought to life in such a way that made me miss my childhood and wonder why it took me so long to re-read this series.  I was also pleased with the fact that the book and the movie are actually quite similar, more so than I had actually thought.  I loved listening to this on my way to work and this experience opened me up to reading more audio books.  How can you not give Harry Potter 5 stars?


Now on to the books I plan on reading during the month of November!

(goodreads.com)

    A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir is the second book in the An Ember in the Ashes series and follows Laia and Elias as they flee the Empire on a journey to free Laia's brother Darin.  This book was on my TBR last month, but I had to rearrange my reading list to make room for overdue library books, so I ended up finishing it this month instead.  You can check out my summary in my last blog post and my review of this book will be up soon!

(goodreads.com)

    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is the first book in the Outlander series.  I've been watching the show and I'm intrigued by the premise and the setting so much that I decided it's time to read the book.  I've heard so many great things about Gabaldon's writing and this book seems perfect for November.  For those of you who aren't familiar with this series, it begins in 1945 at the end of World War II and follows a combat army nurse named Claire as she goes on a second honeymoon with her husband Frank in Scotland.  While out on a stroll through the countryside, Claire accidentally activates a portal through a standing stone circle to the year 1743 during the Jacobite rebellion.  Claire must use her knowledge of history to aid her in surviving in this time period so she can figure out a way to get back home to 1945.  She also meets the swoon-worthy Scotsman James Fraser, who helps her understand the unfamiliar Scottish court.  The series is great and the scenery is breathtaking, so I'm really excited to start reading the book!

(goodreads.com)

    Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater is the third book in the Raven Cycle series.  As I said before, I'll hopefully be able to finish this series by the end of the year and I don't want to forget anything from the first two books, so I'm reading this one straight away.  The synopsis doesn't leave much to be desired, but I'm assuming this book will take place directly after the events of the last book, where we left off on a cliffhanger.  The gang has trespassed over dangerous territory and now there be monsters, both human and inhuman.  The hunt for Glendower continues!

(goodreads.com)

    As Old As Time by Liz Braswell is another Beauty and the Beast retelling I've been eyeing lately.  This book is part of a series called "Twisted Tales" that tell fairy tales from alternative viewpoints.  This one in particular asks the question: What if Belle's mother cursed the beast?  The story seems to hold true to the original while sprinkling in elements of invention here and there to create a what-if scenario.  The fact that Disney is involved makes me feel hopeful.  This should be really interesting, if I can get to it before the end of the month.  Also, LOOK AT THAT COVER!

    And there you have it, my wrap-up for October and my TBR for November.  It should be a good month for reading and I have a few more books I may add that I'm reading for my classes, so stay tuned for the reviews to come!  What books do you associate with fall or November specifically.  I'm always in the mood for a dark, gritty romance or fantasy series this time of year.  Let me know what you're reading down below in the comments or if you've read any of the books I've listed above.  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment