Sunday, May 7, 2017

April Wrap-Up

  Hello everyone! It feels like it's been forever since I posted. April dragged by, especially for my last week of spring coursework. I'm officially done for two more weeks before I start my last summer course. That being said, I didn't get a lot of reading in last month; I only read three books... Now that I don't have classes, I should be able to read more in the next few weeks. The three books I read last month will be described in more detail below.

(goodreads.com)

  The Wrath & The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh: This book was required reading for my first book club meeting. I chose this particular book because it wasn't solely based in fantasy, but had some folktale elements to it as well, which I thought might go over well with my first batch of attendees. Most of my fellow readers liked the book, which made me more confident in my choice. The plot of this book centers around the Arabian fairy tale One Thousand and One Nights and follows our two main characters, Shaharzad and Khalid. Since claiming the throne, Khalid has taken a new bride every night, only to murder them the next morning. Shazi volunteers herself as tribute to the evil boy king Khalid in order to enact her revenge on him for killing her best friend. After her marriage, Shazi beings to weave a fantastic tale for her new husband every night in order to stall her execution. As Shazi and Khalid begin to get to know each other more than they had originally intended, truths come to light as a result of Shazi's snooping and Khalid's growing love for her.  This book was rife with magic and secrets on both sides. Shazi goes into her marriage, thinking herself an assassin, but slowly realizes there's more to the king than she thought. The twists Ahdieh took on the original tale were interesting and created more of a background for her characters in this world. I really enjoyed Shazi as a strong female lead in this story; she does not need a man to save her. I also really liked some of the side characters, like Despina and Jalal, who both brought the witty banter with them. I'm intrigued enough by the ending to read the next and final installment, when I have time. I gave this book 3.5/4 out of 5 stars.

(goodreads.com)

  A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi: Keeping with my apparent theme of Arabian fairy tales, this book is the second in Chokshi's Star Touched Queen world (it is not a series, but the second book set in the same world). I loved her previous book so much that I had to pick this one up.  Plus, can we please take a moment to WORSHIP THAT COVER ART THOUGH MY GOD. I really enjoyed following Maya's sister Gauri's perspective because they are two fundamentally different characters. Gauri has grown up into a warrior, vying for her evil brother's throne and willing to do whatever it takes to secure it. She fights for her people and they're freedom from her brother's tyranny. Unfortunately, she gets captured on the battlefield and taken to an enemy kingdom, where she meets Prince Vikram, heir to the throne. Where Gauri is serious and logical, Vikram is inquisitive and witty. Their banter back and forth throughout the entire book was my favorite part. Vikram gives Gauri the opportunity to join him on a quest, given to him by the Lord of Wealth in the realm of dreams. Each of them have their own reasons for desiring the ultimate prize of one wish, but will they survive to earn it? I loved the pace of this story; it was almost never boring. The romance was also a slow-burn, which I appreciate. Is it wrong to want one of those creatures who talk nonsense and sit by battle fields eating the remains of the dead? There were so many parts of this where I had no idea where the plot would turn and what the characters would do to improve their dismal situation. I enjoyed this ride and I was super bummed when it was finally over. I gave this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

(goodreads.com)

  Shadowcaster by Cinda Williams Chima: This one was one of my most anticipated reads of this year, especially after what happened in the first book to this new series. Let me start off by saying that I HATE the new covers. There are two camps when it comes to Chima's new covers: love or hate. I think that the previous cover with the beautiful gems on would be so much better, but alas, I have no choice but to accept this one. Although Alyssa looks super bad ass here, I can't help but think this looks almost exactly like the Throne of Glass covers, so it's not even an original concept to me. I fell in love with Chima's Demon King series, and this one is its sequel series taking place a decade in the future. In the first book, Flamecaster, we followed Ash, the son of Han and Raisa, where he escaped his homeland to attend the wizard academy after his father's murder. This book follows Ash's younger sister, Alyssa (great name!) and heir to the Grey Wolf Throne. I'm not going to lie, Alyssa's story was not as exciting as Ash's was. I had high hopes because obviously her name is mine and I wanted to love her the most, but more than 3/4 of the book felt like there wasn't anything really going on. Alyssa spent a lot of time pining for her lost brother and trying to force her feelings down, which is obviously unhealthy. I really liked Hal in this book though, even is he has the worst luck ever. I didn't quite believe the attraction in this one, but I'm curious to see where the story goes from here. I think the third book might see family reuniting under one major cause to win this war. I'm also still confused and eager to learn more about a lot of things: the mage marks on the necks of two characters who still feel underdeveloped, a mysterious queen bent on capturing them both, DRAGONS, etc. The mainland war seems almost non-important now, but we'll see what happens. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

  So those are the books I read this month. The next book in my book club is Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, so expect a review of that coming soon. What did you read last month? What are you planning to read this month? Are you a member of a book club? Let me know in the comments. Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment