Thursday, November 12, 2015

Author Spotlight: Cassandra Clare

    Hey guys!  So today we're going to be doing another author spotlight about Cassandra Clare, since I'm reading all of her books right now and LOVING them!  I'm trying to do at least one author spotlight a month and I know that hasn't happened yet, but I'm trying to keep up with them.  Usually I try to feature authors that I'm really into at the moment so that I can talk about them more.  I will say, there may be some mild spoilers ahead, especially if you haven't read any of her books so far.  Fair warning!  Now, let's get to it.

    Cassandra Clare is a YA author, most notably famous for the Mortal Instruments series, (which I am currently devouring with gusto).  She has a multitude of other novels within the "Shadowhunter Chronicles," which include prequels as well as sequels to the Mortal Instruments series.  I'll explain them below, in chronological order.

(goodreads.com)

    The Infernal Devices is the prequel series to the Mortal Instruments and takes place in London during the late 1800s.  The series follows Tessa Gray after she travels to London from New York to visit her brother, but gets kidnapped by Downworlders, (terminology for magic folk, like werewolves, warlocks and vampires, etc.).  Through a series of events, she meets Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs, both Shadowhunters at the London Institute under the tutelage of Charlotte Fairchild.  The first book in the series is Clockwork Angel, followed by Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess.  This series was fantastic to read first and I'm glad that I did.  It served as a great introduction to the series, although it came out after the Mortal Instruments series was introduced.  Now that I'm reading the Mortal Instruments, I have a greater appreciation for all the subtle hints about past characters and especially everything Magnus Bane has to say, (an immortal warlock who aids the Shadowhunters in both series).  The way it's written and the time period it takes place in really grabbed my attention.  Also, her descriptions are fantastic!  I could always picture what Clare was trying to show me as a reader.  Clockwork Princess TORE ME APART, but I'll save that explanation for my review later this month.

(goodreads.com)

    The Mortal Instruments takes place in the present day, (the book's timeline of events suggest sometime around 2007), in New York City.  There are six books in this series: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, and City of Heavenly Fire.  The series follows Clary Fray, who is the daughter of Jocelyn Fray, (who's last name is actually Fairchild, descendant of Charlotte from the previous series).  She witnesses what she thinks is murder, but is actually demon slaying by the Shadowhunters of the New York Institute, including Isabelle and Alec Lightwood, (also descendants from characters in the previous series), and Jace Wayland.  Jace takes a liking to Clary and tries to help her come to terms with her new life after her mother is taken by an evil ex-Shadowhunter/ex-husband named Valentine.  Although I haven't even read halfway through this series yet, I really like the contrast between the prequel series, which takes place in the 1800s and this one, which takes place a little more than 200 years in the future.  I also like that there are still characters in this series that come from the last series, like Magnus Bane, the High Warlock of Brooklyn, previous ally to the members of the London Institute.  Clare's descriptions and world-building are just as good in this series and they are places I can actually picture, having been to New York City before.  The characters are also very similar to the ones in the Infernal Devices series, with an extreme resemblance between Will and Jace, (seeing as they are technically related).  One of my favorite parts about this series is the way Clare molds everyone together and gives them the wittiest banter to go off on.  Everybody's attitude is on point and I really feel like I should know these people.  From reading the summaries of the other books in this series, I can tell that there's going to be a lot of conflict coming on.  Traveling to Idris, the Shadowhunter capital of the world, battling demons and angels alike, accounting for supposed incestuous relations...  It should be a good time and I'm excited to finish as quickly as possible.  My main reason for reading this series now is because of the TV series set to come out on ABC Family this January, which has me equally excited!  The movie that came out in 2013 I thought was well done, but I didn't care for the ending all that much.  I wish they had cast the movie cast for the TV show cast, but that's neither here nor there I guess...

(goodreads.com)

    Clare has two new series to go off of the Shadowhunter Chronicles coming out in the next year or two.  The first is The Last Hours series, which will take place a few years after the events in Infernal Devices and will follow the children of Will and Tessa as well as the Lightwoods, among others.  I have no idea when this series is coming out, but I will be on the lookout for it.  Clare's other series, The Dark Artifices, will serve as a sequel to the Mortal Instruments series.  The series will follow a descendant of Jem Carstairs, Emma, and her friends Julian and Mark Blackthorn in Los Angeles at the Institute there.  I believe Emma's parents are murdered and she attempts to find out who and why.  The first book in this series is called Lady Midnight and is coming out in March of next year.  So excited!  Clare has written a few other books that relate to the Shadowhunter world, including The Bane Chronicles, which follows the life of Magnus Bane and his immortality, The Shadowhunter's Codex, (a sort of guide to being a Shadowhunter), and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, which is a collection of novellas following Simon Lewis from the Mortal Instruments series as he begins training to become a Shadowhunter.  This world is so complex and interesting, it's difficult to make the time to read everything that goes along with it!

    The reason I like Cassandra Clare, as I said, is her attention to detail and her ability to surprise you.  It's pretty typical YA fantasy, but it's a complex world with a lot of characters with attitude and personality.  I really like how she's twisted this world around in her favor and I really don't think there's another book series like it out there yet.  Here's to you Cassandra Clare for taking over my life!  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment