Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Carpe Diem

    Hey everyone.  Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but we ended up having a family emergency, so I really didn't have time.  One of my childhood dogs passed away yesterday.  He was 14 years old and it was devastating for our family.  We've had him since I was eleven, so I grew up with him.  I'm glad I was there with him during his final moments, but it was still difficult to accept.  It still is.  It's going to take some time for me to cope with his loss, but eventually I think I'll be alright.  I gave some extra love to all my other animals just because.  I'll miss you bud <3


    Despite the fact that I'm still grieving, I'd like to perk up my spirits a bit by giving you my list of five movies that you should watch to get in the mood for the fall season.  Fall is by far my favorite season.  There's almost nothing I hate about it, (except Halloween, but I don't "hate" Halloween as much as it just makes me uncomfortable...I HATE being scared).  So as August slowly comes to a close, (seriously, could this month move ANY slower?!!? I've been dying here on the East Coast with all this heat and humidity!), I'd like to review and recommend some movies I will be watching, not only to help me feel better, but also to help me prepare for this wonderful Fall season.

(amazon.com)

    Who doesn't love a good Disney movie?!  Pocahontas is one of my favorites and it was one of the first to portray a strong, independent female leading character, (which seems to be very "in" right now).  If you live under a rock or refused to pay attention in history class, Pocahontas is about a group of English settlers coming over to the New World to colonize, where one of them meets a native woman who teaches him about the land and about humanity.  This Disney version tweaks the historical facts a bit, (as in John Smith and Pocahontas had no relationship and she ended up marrying Kocuom and then got captured by the English and sent to live among them where she fell in love again with John Rolfe, who was in the second Disney adaptation, among other inconsistencies).  Regardless of the historical inaccuracies, the movie screams Fall with all the colored Virginia foliage and the harvesting of food.  This Native American and English settler interaction is also reminiscent of the Thanksgiving feast between the two peoples, that may or may not have actually happened.  It's just a really great Disney movie, ok?  Go watch it, it's on Netflix.

(nickelodeon.wikia.com)

    This is definitely not the horrible remake "Blog Wars" that I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness.  This, my friends, is the original 1996 Nickelodeon movie Harriet the Spy, featuring Michelle Trachtenberg, in her film debut, and Rosie O'Donnell as the admirable Golly.  As an owner of the original VHS, I can say that possessing this orange tape was one of the crowning achievements of my childhood.  This is my favorite movie of all time, no question.  I've been watching this movie since I was five years old and have been more than influenced by the main character Harriet as she described the world from her perspective inside her "Private" composition notebook.  I have about 20 notebooks myself, having adopted her knack for discovery and her investigative tendencies.  I was obsessed with this movie, to put it lightly, so it's no wonder why it's on my list of fall favorites.  This movie takes place during the beginning of the school year in New York City I believe, (they never actually say, but you can make inferences from the setting), and follows a young spy named Harriet M. Welsch along with her friends Janie and Sport as they enter 6th grade.  Harriet writes about all of her classmates and everyone else she meets in her notebook, including those lucky few on her "spy route" throughout her neighborhood.  Eventually the notebook catches up to Harriet and gets exposed, forcing her to deal with the consequences.  This movie tackles a lot of heavy issues, including poverty, neglect, mental instability, friendship, acceptance, and coming of age, just to name a few.  I can quote this movie verbatim and I would highly recommend it if you're into quirky, coming-of-age movies dealing with a young writer and her quest for the truth.  Not to mention the gorgeous setting of NYC in the fall with the parks and inner-city gardens, etc.  I can't say enough about this movie!

(imdb.com)

    Any excuse to watch Robin Williams is a good one.  Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite Robin Williams films, not to mention Matt Damon isn't bad to look at either!  This movie, written by some of my favorite Bostonians, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, (who is also the lead in the film), follows a young South Boston man, Will Hunting, as he deals with his unknown future after he assaults a police officer.  He becomes a janitor at MIT and begins seeing a therapist, (Williams), who helps him reevaluate his relationships.  He also begins taking courses with a professor of advanced mathematics, learning that he has a rare gift.  This movie has all sorts of feels, even by just watching the scenes with Robin Williams.  This is easily one of Matt Damon's best performances to date.  Obviously the setting of this movie, collegiate Boston, screams fall.  Just look at the poster!  This movie is a bit heavy on the emotional side, so be prepared to cry during some or all of this film.  This movie is also on Netflix I believe, so if you're in the mood for some foliage, some authentic Boston accents and a good cry, you're in!

(en.wikipedia.org)

    Another Robin Williams flick!  This one has to be my favorite Robin Williams film, obviously because of his incredible performance, but also because of the literary references throughout.  This movie is perfect, not only for those of you who love fall, but also those of you, like me, who are literary junkies.  This movie has poetry, intrigue, romance, rebellion, and a lot more.  I watched this movie with my freshman last fall at the end of their poetry unit and it received great reception, (as it should).  There are also some pretty big names in this movie, besides Robin Williams, including Ethan Hawke as Todd Anderson and Kurtwood Smith of That 70s Show fame playing Mr. Perry, Neil's father.  Dead Poets Society follows a group of prep school boys on track to become lawyers, doctors and such when they meet an extraordinary English teacher named John Keating, who teaches them to leave the boundaries of their education and follow their passions.  This film takes place at a conservative prep school somewhere in the Northeast during the first semester of school, (fall and winter).  The setting alone will increase your need for colored foliage and crisp New England air.  This movie is also on the heavy side toward the end, which scarred my freshman for life I bet, but this movie's message is worth it.  It's also ridiculously quotable and you'll find yourself speaking like Dr. Keating in no time after watching this movie.  "O Captain, My Captain" still makes me tear up a bit...  Easily my second favorite movie to watch to get pumped for the fall season.

(imdb.com)

    This movie is everything!  Another one on my top favorite movies of all time list.  Remember the Titans is literally the perfect movie to watch to get ready for fall!  I know a lot of people like Friday Night Lights, and that's all well and good, but this movie is SO MUCH BETTER because this is based on a true story.  If you enjoy football, the civil rights movement, Denzel Washington, and the late 1960s, you will LOVE this movie!  Remember the Titans follows a high school football team in Virginia during the integration of black and white schools.  T.C. Williams High School head coach Bill Yoast is introduced to Coach Herman Boone, who ends up taking his job solely because he is an African American.  As Coaches Yoast and Boone deal with their new rankings on the football staff, the players have to deal with each other as the integrate during a time of turmoil in the south.  Coach Boone changes the game, (literally), and leads the Titans into a battle for race and the championship.  You can tell this is a Disney film because there are so many good messages in this movie about acceptance, brotherhood and hope.  Denzel Washington has a truly stellar performance as Coach Boone and Ryan Gosling actually makes his film debut as Alan Bosley.  He's hilarious!  I can't say anything bad about this movie and it is completely quotable.  The soundtrack is to die for!  So many great 70s rock hits and soul music to propel the story forward and get you pumped for football season like you've never been before.  I even tried to use one of the lines in the movie during a soccer game, which didn't help, but it got me excited, which was all I needed.  Seriously, it's better than Friday Night Lights.  Go watch it!

    So that's my list of my top five favorite fall movies.  I wanted to do a list that wasn't full of your typical fall movies, but movies I really enjoy watching and hope you do to.  Perhaps there's at least one of these movies you've never seen or heard of before that you'd be willing to try out?  Let me know in the comments what you think!  "Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent..."(Which one of those movies is this quote from?)






No comments:

Post a Comment