Monday, August 10, 2015

TBR for August

   Hello there friends!  I'm going to be trying something new here that I haven't before and that's a TBR.  For those of you who don't know, a "TBR" is a list of books "To Be Read" for a specific month or other period of time.  I've been diving into the YouTube community of BookTube, (which I think I've mentioned here before), which is a vlogging community dedicated to the written word.  They do many types of videos, including TBRs, book hauls, wrap-ups, etc.  This intrigued me and I thought that maybe I could do something like that, but without the video portion.  I've thought about vlogging for a few years now, but have discovered that I'm not quite comfortable being on camera yet.  With my fluctuating health issues and hectic schedule, I think it best to start slow and work my way up to a point where maybe I could incorporate a video portion of this.  For now, let's stick with what I know best and get on with the list!
    Usually, with a TBR list, a reader sets a tentative goal for his or herself of how many books they would be willing and able to read during a given time period.  I have already done my book reviews for the month of July, which you can find in the Book Reviews tab at the top of the page, or by clicking here if you're lazy, like me.  For the month of August, I will be reading a combination of graphic novels, comic books and novels, totaling about 6 titles.  I'm trying to become more well versed in comic books, considering my husband is a writer and has a vast collection to which I am exposed.  I've already started some of these books, so I will include them here because they are still in progress.


    I mentioned this series in my book reviews section, so check out my review of The Bone Season first!  The Mime Order is the second book in The Bone Season series by Samantha Shannon.  This series follows a clairvoyant named Paige Mahoney, an Irish transplant refugee in an alternative Dystopian Scion London who is hiding from others who are interested in her immense power.  The first book, The Bone Season, introduces us to Paige and how she became the person she is now as well as her struggles with her clairvoyance during an impending war with a different race of beings unknown to the rest of the mundane world.  
    The Mime Order continues Paige's story from the previous novel, which ends with her exodus from a prison called Sheol I, located in the outskirts of Scion London.  She is currently the most wanted person in London and is on the run from everyone because she can trust no one.  While Paige tries to outwit her adversary, the leaders of her clairvoyant underground community called "Mime-Lords" and "Mime-Queens" respectively, hold a rare meeting to decide the fate of their community while war brews overhead in the human world.  Little do they know an invasion is on the horizon and Paige will have to run in order to stay alive.
    I've already started reading this book and I'm only about 130 pages in, but I really like where it's going so far!  I fell in love with this series from the time I read The Bone Season last Christmas, so I couldn't wait to pick this one up.  So far I'm really enjoying the mystery of the events unfolding at Paige's expense.  I can tell that there will be some backstabbing in her future but from who, I'm not sure.  I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the review, but so far, I like what I'm reading!


(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17878931-red-queen)

    The second book on my TBR for August is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile.  Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard follows a young 17-year-old girl named Mare Barrow, who lives in a world divided by blood, split between commoners and the elite class.  Mare is a Red girl, a commoner, who finds herself working in the Silver Palace under direct supervision of the warrior class.  Despite her Red commoner blood, there is a power lurking deep inside Mare, which could threaten to destroy the Silver elite control of her world.
    This book just sounded really interesting to me.  I've come to love the fantasy world building that these books tend to have, so I'm curious to see how well they set up the world in this book.  I've also been reading a lot of books with a female protagonist, which seems to be very prevalent these days.  I've seen numerous recommendations for this book within the BookTube community, so I had to grab it.  At the present, I get most of my book recommendations from BookTubers, who are a great source for material I wouldn't have otherwise come across on my own.  Can't wait to read this one!


(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23399192-rook)

    This book just recently caught my eye and it sounded really interesting, so I thought I would give it a try!  This is another alternate-city Dystopian world book, which I apparently love because this is at least the fifth book of this kind that I've read.  Rook takes place in an alternate Paris called the Sunken City, in which a new revolution has transpired.  There is a mysterious vigilante called the "Red Rook" who fights for the safety and well-being of the innocent people in this world.  Think not-your-average Robin Hood character.  Then there's our main protagonists, Sophia Bellamy and Rene Hasard, who are in an arranged marriage but are not who they seem to be.  This unfortunate and unwilling couple get caught up in the machinations of the Red Rook and chaos ensues.
    I love the premise of this book!  This book also seems to deal with another strong female lead, which I like, coupled with a brash male co-conspirator.  Overall, I'm just curious to see where this book leads and I've heard a lot of great things so far about it, so I'm really excited to read it!



    This is a graphic novel series from Vertigo comics which I have already started reading because I am currently ADDICTED to it and can't stop/won't stop.  Fables, written by Bill Willingham and illustrated by Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, Craig Hamilton and James Jean follows popular story book and fairy tale characters as they are exiled out of their homeland by the mysterious "Adversary" and into New York City to live amongst the humans they call "The Mundane" or "Mundies" for short.  This is definitely not a series fit for young children, as there is a lot of sexual and violent content, but it's SO GOOD!  There are relationships among the Fables that you would never expect and the story just keeps getting more crazy and interesting as I read on.  The illustrations are amazing and full of detail and the cover art is breathtaking.  I'm currently on Volume 5, which includes issues 28-33.  There are currently 22 volumes in this series, so I will be getting more of them once I catch up to what my husband already has on hand.  I'm loving this series, so if you like Once Upon a Time or the Grimm tales or anything along those lines, you should check out this series.


(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18188160-mara?ac=1)

    This series was recommended to me by my husband actually.  We've met the artist, Ming Doyle, several times at different comic book conventions and she's amazingly talented, not to mention super nice!  My husband is mildly obsessed with her and this is one of his favorite comics of all time, so I figured I'd check it out.  Look at that bad ass female protagonist again!  Mara by Brian Wood and illustrated by Ming Doyle follows a popular celebrity athlete named Mara Prince as she struggles to maintain her normal persona while dealing with the manifestation of superhuman abilities.  As she is slowly disowned by most of the world she's known for years, she has to fight back against those who appose her as she figures out who she is.
    I've honestly never looked into this series until now.  I knew Ming Doyle did great work and that was one of the main reasons I wanted to pick this short series up.  It seems to be set in a futuristic/alternate world as well, so we'll see.  I'm intrigued by this comic and I hope I like it!


(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22078240-saga-deluxe-edition-volume-1?ac=1)

    This is another series recommended to me not only by my husband, but through BookTube as well.  This is an award-winning series written by Brian K. Vaughn and illustrated by Fiona Staples.  Saga follows new parents Marko and Alana through their struggles during a galactic war in this sci-fi/fantasy world.  This series is very reminiscent of Star Wars.  It is not for the faint of heart and should only be read by mature readers, but overall I've heard enough hype about this series to warrant picking it up.  I've literally heard nothing bad about this series.  My husband owns the Special Deluxe edition, volume 1, (which is pictured and linked to above), and contains issues 1-18.  I'm excited to read this, especially after hearing the premise.

    That's it for my August TBR!  If you have any recommendations or thoughts on the comics or books I listed above, let me know what you think in the comments.  I'm hoping to get to all these this month, but being reliant on the library's selection really puts a damper on my reading goals.  If you have any ideas for what I should pick up for September, let me know in the comments as well.  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.






No comments:

Post a Comment