Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Comics as Literature

    Hey guys!  I'm finally able to post on a Tuesday again, so hurray!  It has been busy around here since I started my new job and I'm still adjusting to the schedule, partially because I now have a schedule and partially because my schedule has been subject to change on a whim, so bare with me.  If you haven't been paying attention, I now have a part-time gig at my local comic book store.  It's great because I get to hang out with some cool nerdy people and I get to sample the comic books I like while I'm working.  I have been working on my reading goals for comics and I'm happy with the progress I've made so far.  My husband is also thrilled, seeing as he never thought this day would come!  I'm very much a literary junkie, so diving into the comic book world has been an interesting experience.  So I thought I'd talk a little bit about that today.  I'll give you some common comic book terminology, some tips for getting started if you're new to this type of reading, and give you some recommendations on publishers and titles you should check out.

(screenrant.com)

    First of all, comic books are not just about super heroes.  Yes, a good portion of them are centered around super heroes and those have seen a resurgence in recent years due to the success of the Marvel cinematic universe, among others, but comic books are just as diverse as regular books.  It took me awhile to realize this, but comic books have genres just like novels do and are separated by publisher.  Each publisher has its own take on the genre, some choosing to focus more on the super heroes, like Marvel and DC, while others focus more on the supernatural and the futuristic, like Image and Dark Horse.  Comic books are not just for people who love super heroes.  If you're curious to see if the movies are anything like the comic book versions, prepare to be disappointed.  The cinematic universe you have come to love is not as accurate to the comic book as you may think.  Although Marvel has done a fantastic job staying true to some of the story lines in the comic books, there are twists and turns they have to make in the cinematic and TV universes to keep that go against some of the comic books.  For example, (SPOILERS ahead for those of you who care about reading Captain America: Civil War before the movie comes out), Captain America is supposed to die at the end of the Civil War comic book arc.  That being said, I don't think Cap will end up dying at the end of the movie because Chris Evans is still signed on for a couple more movies.  So this goes to show that sometimes the movies don't always reflect what happens in the comic books.

(toptenz.net)

    Some terminology you should be aware of before we go any further, just in case I bring it up:
  Issue: Refers to one copy of a comic book, usually numbered in order of it's release date.
  Trade Paperback: A compilation of issues, usually in groups of four or five, in order from first to last.  For example, I have a trade paperback of the comic book Fables which includes issues #1-5.
  Arc: A continuation of a story line in any given comic book.  When a story line changes, like when they introduce new characters or change the main character or setting, the arc also changes.  If comic book enthusiasts are looking for a particular "arc" of a comic, they are typically looking for something specific that differs from the main story arc.
  Graphic Novel: These typically get confused with regular comic books.  Graphic novels are comics but in a novel format.  They are usually longer than comics, (comics are more like magazines or periodicals compared to a graphic novel), and contain many graphic images.  I would say most of the time graphic novels are able to stand on their own, meaning they typically don't have multiple issues but I have seen some that do have multiple issues, such as Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang, which has two volumes.

(comicvine.com)

    Although the movie versions of the super hero comics aren't always consistent with their movie counterparts, there are some amazing things happening to change the way we look at super heroes in the comic book world.  Some, if not all comic books go through changes every couple of years or so.  These changes may include killing off characters, like The Wolverine or Robin, or just passing the baton to a new face.  Characters age, they develop other interests and they mirror us in ways that most people don't understand.  The way comic books adjust to the demand they put out is just as impressive as the way comics develop around the changing world around us.  We are always saddened when one of our favorite characters dies in a book or movie, but if and when they are reborn in a new light, we are just as excited, (usually).  For example, Ms. Marvel is about the beloved girl wonder of the Marvel universe as she attempts to control her new powers.  However, in this installment, she is a Pakistani-American.  Thor has also gone through a drastic makeover and is now being represented by a woman, Jane Foster.  After his tragic death, Peter Parker has now handed the mask over to the new Spider Man, Miles Morales, a teenager of African American and Hispanic decent.  There are some incredible things happening in the comic book universes and diversity of characters is only the tip of the iceberg.

    The genres for comic books know no bounds.  There are just as many genres as regular books and they are just as entertaining, if not MORE so, because of all the fabulous artwork included in each issue.  There's horror, like The Walking Dead, (which was a comic book before it was a TV show, by the way), fantasy, (Fables, Sandman, etc.), science fiction, (Saga, The Woods, Low, etc.) and more.  Most of these examples are some that I'm reading currently, but it's what I know.  There are many more offerings out there for any genre you prefer.  I'm eager and willing to explore further into the comics I've come to love as well as the ones recommended to me by friends who know my tastes.  It's easy to connect or transfer your favorite genres of books into comic books.  Independent publishers have more of a variation in genres than Marvel or DC, as far as I've seen.  Publishers like BOOM, Image, Vertigo and more have a wide variety of comics to choose from to satisfy any genre need.

(inbeon.tumblr.com)

    So if you're new to comic books like I am, follow these simple rules: start with a title you may know, either from a cinematic universe you're familiar with, like Marvel, or maybe a TV show you crave, like the Walking Dead.  If you love Star Wars, you'll love Saga.  These will be different from what you're used to, but, as usual, the "book" is almost always better than the movie.  Another tip: make sure it's a genre you enjoy.  I've been loving fantasy lately, so I started there with Fables, which mirrors one of my favorite shows, Once Upon a Time.  I knew I would like it because of the genre, but also because I like the show and it's very similar, but still different enough to keep my interest.  If you stick with those two tips, I promise you you will find a comic you like.  I've begun to branch out to other genres, like science fiction and dystopian fiction, and found that I enjoy them just as much after experimenting first with fantasy.  It's all about your personal preference and what you truly enjoy reading.

    If you're new to comics, I hope that helps.  If you're not, what do you think I should've mentioned?  What kinds of comics do you read?  What about graphic novels?  What recommendations could you give me or others looking to start reading more comic books?  Let me know in the comments below.  If you live in the New England area, my comic book store will have a booth this year at Granite Con, which is in Manchester, NH, so if you're interested, please come by and say hi!  I'll leave the link here if you're interested in learning more about that event.  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

2 comments: