Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Week!

    It's finally here!  The week everyone usually has some form of vacation and family time ensues.  But more on that later, as I feel the need to spill my guts about other things that matter, like DWTS...


    Some of you may know that I watch Dancing With The Stars with my dad, and let me tell you, if you haven't been watching, you should be!  It has been one of the best seasons I've ever seen, although there have been a few hiccups.  One being Bill Engvall, the "cat with nine lives" as they say, who persevered through this season mostly on fan votes to make it to the first part of the finale, but was sent home last night.  I have to say, if Bill had made it any farther I feel like there would've been riots in the streets, (at least in New England, where rioting serves as both a sign of extreme happiness and anger).  His last performance really got me in the heart region though, being so daddy-daughter-ish and lovely, his relationship with his professional partner really made you want to hug him.  I am a fan of his stand up comedy, so seeing him on the show doing the best a middle-aged man can do was great fun.  I will continue my undying support for Corbin Bleu, however, as he heats up the dance floor, as well as every woman's nether regions.  Can't wait for part two!


    As for Thanksgiving, I'm really looking forward to it this year.  Last year we spent Thanksgiving with my husband's family, so this year it's my turn.  My family tradition has changed drastically over the course of my lifetime so far, and I can predict more changes to come in the future I'm sure.  When I was younger and my parents were still together, we would have Thanksgiving at my great grandmother's house, complete with what my Nana called "cranberry apple relish," which is SO much better than cranberry sauce, (believe me when I say this).  Since then, I've been spending Thanksgiving with my father's side of the family, where we Italians still like to have the traditional meal, plus a heaping side of home-made, 8-layer lasagna.  Totally normal to have all of that on, let's be honest, two plates.
    I really do enjoy spending time with my whole family.  Having to live with my dad for the last almost 6 years of my life has taught me a lot about humility, values and selflessness.  I've spent the majority of the holiday seasons making sure everyone is happy, including my dad, but sometimes that's not an easy task.  We've spent a few years, including last year, without presents, in deep depression and an overall funk.  Family is what matters the most, so wherever I am I try to focus on how much I love the people I'm with and that makes all the difference.  I love spending time with both families during the holidays and I love seeing everyone smiling and laughing and joking around.  I never used to see it, but now that I'm older I think I have a greater appreciation for the simple things and quality time.

(photo credit: kivalophotography)

    My in-laws are some of the best people I've ever met.  I've never seen any family so happy and positive about everything life has put in front of them.  They have shown me the value of kindness and they have supported and accepted me from the first day I entered their home as a stranger.  I have nothing but great things to say about them, and I truly have no idea what I would do without them in my life.  It is such an honor to be a part of their family, and I thank God for bringing them into my life when I needed them the most.  I love all of them to death and I would take a bullet for any of them.  So grateful and thankful to be able to enjoy the rest of my life as one of them.  Thank you for all you have done for me Shelly, Tom, Danny and Beau.  I love you guys so much!
    I'm most thankful for my dad and my husband.  Without their love and support, I don't know where I'd be right now.  There were times where I thought things were hopeless and there wasn't a point to trying to fix everything, but they've kept me going.  Depression, hardships and personal tragedies have made the holidays a difficult time not only for me, but for my dad as well.  I can say with great certainty that I have put a lot of effort into his happiness because I love him like a daughter should always love her father.  But you can't live your life trying to make everyone else happy because sometimes people don't want to be happy.  However, when you do see them finally ready to commit to being happy, it makes it so much sweeter.  I'm feeling so much better this year and I can't wait for what next year has in store for us.


    So I will be spending the next few days shopping, working on some of my final projects for the coming weeks until the end of the fall semester, and spending time with both of my families.  Thanksgiving is such a pivotal time for rejoicing and sharing with one another.  As the gateway to Christmas opens, it will be bittersweet, partially because it'll be Black Friday and I have been dreading it's impending doom since last year...  But I will suffer through to get to the days to follow, which will bring me closer to Christmas and all the good tidings and cheer and what-not, (plus my 24th birthday!).  Hopefully it'll also bring me closer to seeing Catching Fire, since I heard it was amaze-balls.  Sunday is my sister-in-law's baby shower and I can't wait to give her all the presents we got baby Tanner!!!  I WILL BE AN AUNT in January you guys!


    I would like to end this blog post by referring you to another blog called Literally, Darling, which is a blog run by various female 20-somethings who write about everything from academics to organics to music to foodies; they have something for everyone.  I haven't explored as in-depth as I would've liked to, (yet), but I've recently read their reviews on Pokemon: X and Y and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, which were both really good, as well as an article about "finding forever in your 20s."  You can also follow their Tumblr here.  If you need a new blog to follow, this should be it.  I have nothing bad to say about it besides, "Why aren't I writing for them?..."  Anyway, time for me to continue being productive on this lazy Tuesday.  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment