Tuesday, December 29, 2015

December Wrap-Up and My Favorite Books of 2015

    I hope everyone had a great holiday break!  Christmas in New England was a bit warmer than I would have liked, (I'm pretty sure it hit 60 degrees), but it was still nice to spend time with family.  Today we finally got some snow, so it actually feels like December.  Not only did I make bank in Barnes and Noble gift cards, but I scored some of my favorite books as well!  Unfortunately, since starting my new job and preparing for Christmas, I barely had time to read this month.  I only read three books you guys, which to me is really disappointing.  I thoroughly misjudged how much time I could spend reading, so I'm going to take that into consideration for next month and be a little more modest with my reading list.  That being said, since I'm only reviewing three books, I thought I would talk about my favorite books I read in 2015 before we close out the year.

Reviews


(goodreads.com)

    Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima:  This book was an ARC, (Advanced Reader Copy), given to me by the staff at the bookstore when I worked there a month ago.  I had mentioned that I had read and loved Chima's Seven Realms series, so they thought I would like this new series of hers, which takes place a generation after the events of The Crimson Crown.  They were totally right!  The setting is the same, but the royal family is ravaged by war and assassination threats.  I also thought that Delphi reminded me a lot of District 12 from The Hunger Games series with the poverty and the mines.  Within the first two chapters I was crying...  I decided that I probably shouldn't have read this book directly after reading the last book in the original series.  I liked Adrian, ("Ash), but he's nowhere near as witty and dangerous as his father Han.  There were a lot of nods to original characters, like Amon Byrne and Fire Dancer, which I liked.  Another thing I liked about this book is the introduction of dragons and also potentially dragon half-breeds, which would be very interesting.  The only thing I thought wasn't right about this book was the fact that Ash left home without passing along his father's message to his mother Raisa.  I know from the other books that Raisa would want to know that her son is OK, so it struck me as odd that he would leave without saying anything to her.  I can't wait to read the next book in the series, but since this book isn't even coming out until April next year, I think I'll have to wait a really long time for the second book.  Oh well!  I gave this one a solid 4 out of 5 stars.  Thanks for breaking my heart Cinda...

(goodreads.com)

    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo:  Honestly, I was expecting more from this book.  I had heard mixed reviews and people either loved it or hated it, but I'm really in neither camp at this point.  I had trouble pronouncing almost every word in this book, which made it a bit harder to get into.  I understood the story line, but wasn't very interested or invested in any of the characters.  The Darkling was the only character I was really drawn to because he stood out the most to me.  There wasn't as much world building as other books I've read either.  There was also almost no action outside of The Fold, mostly just court drama, which I enjoy to a point, but there really wasn't much going on inside the castle either.  I really like Genya as well because she had a bit of spunk to her.  Overall, I don't know if I'll continue with this series or not, but I have heard better things about Bardugo's Six of Crows, so I may pick that up and give it a try instead.  I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.

(goodreads.com)

    Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta:  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and in comparison to the first one, Finnikin of the Rock, I'd say it's better.  The story was a lot more intense and there was much more character development on Froi's end.  I didn't understand Froi's purpose as a character in the first book, but now he seems more important than Finnikin or Isaboe are.  I loved hearing his story from that perspective and dropping by Lumatere every once in awhile to see how everyone else is doing.  Charyn was an interesting setting, although I had trouble picturing it at times.  Quintana was also a very interesting character, although I had trouble understanding her until the middle of the book.  The entire book was action-packed and full of inner turmoil, but the ending is where everything went to hell in a hand basket...  All of it just fell apart and people died and got shot and kidnapped and everything.  Poor Froi!  I will most likely be reading the next and final book in this series, Quintana of Charyn, to see where this all ends.  I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.


Favorites


    Now it's time to recap my favorite books from this year.  A lot of these are probably going to be repeats that I talk about all the damn time, so I won't go into too much detail.  I read a lot of great books this year, so I narrowed it down to 8 books/series.  These are in the order of when I read them, from January to December.

(goodreads.com)

    The Bone Season series:  This was the first great book I read this year, way back in January.  I loved the world and I loved the story, which involved a criminal underworld of supernatural beings in a Dystopian London as well as alien invasion.  There was even a love story, so how could you go wrong?  The Mime Order was a great follow up to the first novel, which I also read this year.  Focusing more on the criminal underworld of Scion London, this book dove more into government conspiracies and gang-lord hierarchy.  Looking forward to finishing this trilogy next year!

(goodreads.com)

    A Darker Shade of Magic:  Another adult fantasy book that I really enjoyed this year.  Look at that cover!  I love alternative dimensions, so this book, coupled with magic, is right up my alley.  A mysterious magician, one of only two of his kind left in the world, travels between alternative Londons in parallel universes delivering messages and smuggling goods for his employer, the king.  When he meets a girl looking for a way out of her mundane life, all hell breaks loose.  I am very excited to continue with this series next year!

(goodreads.com)

    A Court of Thorns and Roses:  What can I say about this book that I haven't already said?  Easily my favorite book of the year, hands down, just narrowly edging out Clockwork Princess for that spot.  Faeries, Beauty and the Beast trope, witty, confident, huntress leading lady, evil queens, action, romance, etc.  EVERYTHING is well done.  I'm so glad I got this one for Christmas so I can read it again before the sequel comes out next year in May.  THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD.  Read it if you haven't already.  Sarah J. Maas is the best.

(goodreads.com)

    Throne of Glass series:  I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided to pick up Throne of Glass this year.  I blew through this series and now it's one of my favorites.  A young female assassin is promised her freedom for participating in a pageant to become the King's Champion.  That competition is the catalyst for all the events in this series so far.  It's grown leaps and bounds from where they started and all the characters have had some serious development, but it's all for the better.  I'm eagerly waiting for the fifth book to come out next year.

(goodreads.com)

    The Infernal Devices series:  Again, what can I say about this series that I haven't already said?  I'm currently rereading it because I got all three of them for Christmas and I CAN'T GET ENOUGH WILL HERONDALE.  Out of all the series I read this year, this one is by far my favorite.  It was hilarious, terrible, heartbreaking, and romantic as hell.  Add some angels and demons and angry robot overlords and you have yourself a fantastic story.  I can honestly say that this series changed my life and how I feel about reading.  I know that's really profound to say, but I haven't felt this way about books since Harry Potter, so I'd say it's a big deal.  Shout out and thank you to my friend Heather for insisting I read these books before reading The Mortal Instruments because it made me love those books that much more.  I wish I could be a Shadowhunter...  Or if I could just have Will that would be great.  Follow me on Instagram for posts of some of the funniest passages from the books!

(goodreads.com)

    The Mortal Instruments series:  I loved this world so much that I decided to immerse myself in it.  This was the fastest I've ever read a series, nine books, (both The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments), in two weeks.  I loved that this series mentioned and paid homage to the prequel series, even though it took place in present day New York.  I am eagerly awaiting January 12th for the Shadowhunters television premiere.

(goodreads.com)

    The Night Circus:  This book was magical and enchanting in all the right ways.  I loved everything about it, from the story to the time period to the characters.  It was beautifully written and heartbreakingly tragic, but in a good way.

(goodreads.com)

    The Seven Realms series:  The last book(s) on my favorites list are by Cinda Williams Chima, who writes a very epic and gripping fantasy story.  Another recommendation by my friend Heather put to good use.  I was invested in the characters from the beginning and I loved watching them grow into themselves throughout the books.  I've already been spoiled with an ARC of the sequel series, so I'll have to wait longer for more of this world, but it'll be worth it.

    That's it for me today.  Did any of your favorite books from this year make my list?  What are your favorite reads from 2015?  Let me know in the comments below.  Thursday I'll be talking about my most anticipated books of 2016!  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment