Friday, December 18, 2015

My Favorite Christmas Movies!

    Hey everyone!  I'm just going to stop apologizing for missing posts because it seems like I do this every week now...  Thursday was a bit hectic for me because I had to run a ton of errands and then work late, so I really just wanted to sleep when I got home.  That being said, this is a fun, (pointless), post about Christmas, so it's not like you were missing out on anything.  Tomorrow is also my birthday, so I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the weekend off.  I plan on watching a lot of Christmas movies, since I haven't watched any yet this season because I've been so busy.  Here are my go-to Christmas films!

(en.wikipedia.org)

    Rankin Bass Classics: These movies fall under their own category because EVERYONE watches them at Christmastime.  The four core films are The Little Drummer Boy, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town.  I usually don't watch The Little Drummer Boy because I was forced to watch it a lot as a child because I was raised Catholic and I never really liked Frosty, so I usually stick to Rudolph and Santa Clause is Coming to Town.  These classics are a staple in our home and frequent the ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas.  If you haven't watched these yet or never heard of them, there's something wrong with you.

(basementrejects.com)

    The Year Without a Santa Clause:  Obviously there are more Rankin Bass films than just the four listed above, but it would take me forever to name them all.  There's Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, and then this gem: The Year Without a Santa Clause.  This is probably one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time.  The main reason my sister and I love this movie so much is because of Heat Miser and Snow Miser, who control the weather in each hemisphere.  They do not get along and constantly try to outdo each other to impress their mother, Mother Nature.  Their song in this movie is the one that will get stuck in your head FOR DAYS, so tread lightly.  I'm more of a Snow Miser person while my sister is all Heat Miser, so pick your side and enjoy this lovely film!

(geekbomb.net)

    Elf:  Will Ferrell at his best.  Most people either love or hate this movie, but I fall within the former.  There's nothing about this movie that I don't like.  It's hilarious and full of forever quotes.  I may start my Christmas marathon with this one.  I mean come on...

(buzzfeed.com)

How could you not love that?  This is my favorite line in the movie, by the way.  Yes, out of all of them.

(flavorwire.com)

    Home Alone 2: Lost in New York:  This is my favorite of all the Home Alone movies.  The setting is perfect for Christmas, the shenanigans are on point and the cast is great.  Tim Curry is amazing, as always.  Who wouldn't want to be stranded in NYC around Christmastime with a wallet full of credit cards?  I loved the toy store in this one too.  It reminded me of an older FAO Schwartz, back in the day.  It's a really well-done film.  Very underrated!

(etonline.com)

    The Santa Clause:  This is an oldie, but goodie in my book.  Tim Allen is great in this movie!  If you don't know the premise already, when Santa comes to Tim Allen's home, he accidentally falls off the roof, leaving his coat behind with a small card of instructions.  Scott Calvin, (Tim Allen), dons the suit and becomes the new Santa Clause, unbeknownst to him.  He spend almost the entire movie fighting the change and refusing to believe in himself, at the expense of his young son Charlie.  The movie also deals with the concept of divorce in a heartbreaking way, so get your tissue ready when you sit down to watch this one.  Despite the emotions, this one is a great pick!

(telegraph.co.uk)

    The Muppet Christmas Carol:  Last but not least, this classic movie with a Muppet twist.  Out of all the remakes and variations of this Christmas story, this one is by far my favorite and, if I may be so bold, the best.  You have the talented Michael Caine as Mr. Scrooge, Gonzo and Rizzo are narrating, (there's actually a lot of adult humor in this, which I didn't realize until I became an adult), and the old guys from the balcony as Marley and Marley.  It's creepy at times, (because puppets), the songs are amazing, (they will also get stuck in your head), and the cast of Muppets stay true to themselves while also staying in character.  IT'S SO GOOD!  If you haven't experienced this adaptation, please do so immediately.

    Those are all my best Christmas movies!  This post got me super excited to watch them all, so I may have to start after dinner tonight.  Let me know in the comments below if you love some, (or all), of these as well or which Christmas movies your family watches every year, (my husband's family watches A Wish for Wings That Work).  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment