Thursday, December 19, 2013

BLOGMAS Week 3: Top 10 Christmas Movies

    

    Welcome to Blogmas Week 3!  This week, we will be counting down the best Christmas movies to watch during the holidays.  Unfortunately, I'm not well versed in the classics like Miracle on 34th Street or White Christmas and I get sick and tired of the A Christmas Story marathon, so these are just my personal favorites and don't reflect any sort of majority ruling over holiday movies, but I think they're pretty awesome!
 
    10. A Wish For Wings That Work- This one is hard to explain, but it has become an important part of my new family tradition.  My husband's family watches this movie every year on Christmas day, all huddled together around some cinnamon rolls.  It is hilarious and you should definitely give it a shot!


    9. The Polar Express- Everyone knows about The Polar Express, and if you don't I feel bad for you.  It's another book turned to film story about a boy taken on a joyous train ride to the North Pole.  Definitely a feel-good family movie for those of you who'd like to sit together for almost two hours listening to Tom Hanks speak.  My idea of a good time.


    8. The Nightmare Before Christmas- A definite classic, if you can't get over the fact that Halloween is over, but you still love Christmas, this movie is for you.  It's not one of my main picks, but it's on the list because when I am in the mood to watch it, nothing can stop me.  I enjoy it more during the Halloween season solely because it's one of the only "scary" movies I can handle, but still a great Christmas film with an awesome soundtrack to boot!


    7. A Charlie Brown Christmas- Always on TV anyway, Charlie Brown always meant Christmas to me.  Although he has amounted a plethora of escapades, some of which involving him with an unfortunately encounter with a football, Charlie Brown's Christmas special is still my all-time favorite and really sings through the meaning of the holiday season.  No one can forget the musical styling of Schroeder!


    6. How The Grinch Stole Christmas- Jim Carrey is a God among men for these miraculous acting skills.  He personifies the Grinch in every aspect of the word and commits to the character flawlessly.  I will always like the original Dr. Seuss cartoon, however, this live-action movie blew me away with it's wit, satire and moving performances all around.  Always a crowd favorite.  Cindy Lou Who is a gem!


    5. The Muppet Christmas Carol- I am not ashamed to say that I actually watched this today because I FINALLY found it online somewhere and I fell in love all over again!  This is the Charles Dickens's version, obviously with a twist.  The muppets brings the light-hearted hilarity in this classic story.  Michael Caine isn't too bad as Scrooge either.  If you've never seen it or even heard of it, GO FIND IT and watch it right now!  You'll be glad you did.  How could you say no to muppets?!


    4. The Santa Clause- This movie has always been one of my favorites.  The originals are usually the best, and this is no exception.  It's the kind of movie you'll wait around for until Christmas comes along.  The story between the father and son make this movie family-friendly, (and a bit tear-jerky...).  Tim Allen's not bad as Santa either, but you'll have to watch to find out!  Another great classic.


    3. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York- Again, I couldn't help myself, so I watched this yesterday.  Another great family film, but different from the original in the sense that he ends up in New York, the best city in the world to be in at Christmas time.  Who wouldn't want to do what Kevin does?  Tim Curry and Rob Schneider give rousing performances as well.  This one will always be my favorite out of the three existing Home Alone movies.


    2. Elf- Obviously this has become a cult classic Christmas movie among the holiday elite.  The strangers you meet every day out in public know this movie and can, (and probably will), quote it with you.  It has become almost everybody's favorite Christmas movie of all time and remains the top pick in my house for next week's Christmas movie marathon.  The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear...



    *1. Rankin Bass Trifecta (plus The Year Without A Santa Claus)-
 
    If some of you are confused, I lumped these movies together into one category for two reasons.  The first is that they usually come in a boxed set anyway, so listing them as separate movies just seemed wrong.  The second is that they are the epitome of Christmas classics and I couldn't choose just one.  If some of you are still confused, these movies are Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, The Little Drummer Boy, and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town.  I included The Year Without a Santa Claus because it's still a Rankin Bass production and it's one of my favorites, (plus nobody really watches The Little Drummer Boy anyway).  All the movies are filmed in stop-motion animation, which require a great deal of skill, time and effort.  These were TV specials, first introduced in the 1960s, have become some of the most recognizable characters of Christmas and have melted the hearts of many viewers.  You can find most of these films on YouTube, so if you're unfamiliar with them I suggest you make yourself familiar before Christmas.  These are what classics should be.


    So there you have it, my Top 10 favorite Christmas movies of all time.  I have already gotten through half of this list by now, so I plan on finishing strong within the next week.  If your favorite movie didn't make my own list, leave it in the comments!  Only 6 more days until Christmas!!  And it's my birthday today!!! (which is why I posted early).  Next Tuesday is Christmas Eve, so I'll be talking about family traditions and tips for Yankee Swap!  Until next time, I remain your faithful Christmas correspondent.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment