Thursday, December 26, 2013

End of Blogmas and Retail Woes

    With Blogmas officially coming to a close, I'd like to say thank you to all my family and friends who contributed to my awesome Christmas.  I had a great day and made my goal of seeing everyone a reality, so it was worth driving around all day.  I will not soon forget this Christmas, so I hope next year is just as good!  Now with the New Year rolling in, there are some preparations that must be done.


    I did end up getting a lot of the things I wanted, mainly warmer clothing so that I don't freeze to death at work.  I also got a pretty awesome Power Ranger morpher with power coins, the complete Harry Potter DVD collection and Chromecast, so now I can watch my YouTube channels on my TV!  I also got two books that I'm excited to read: the Amy Tan novel I mentioned a while back called The Valley of Amazement and The Book Thief.  After the first of the year, I will be starting to read for leisure again, so on Thursdays I will be posting the books I'm reading, the progress I've made in the book and my initial thoughts so far.  This will culminate into a book review on my Reviews page, but I'm excited to dive back into my literature.  I also can't wait to go back to school because I miss my kiddos!


    Post-Christmas for kids usually involves continual play with toys received the previous morning and so on, (until eventually bored).  But for adults, it's a little different.  We have jobs, priorities and plans that are typically unknown to the younger generation.  Any errands Mom or Dad have to run the day after Christmas are none of my concern; I'll just stay here and play Pokemon all afternoon while you're gone.  The day after Christmas is the most hectic shopping day of the year, save for Black Friday.  Everyone NEEDS to return unwanted gifts as soon as possible, for fear of bursting into flame and being sent straight to Hell.  Or so I believe, because that's the way most people act...


    Just some tips for those shoppers who may feel a bit overwhelmed or anyone who thinks that retail personnel are like peasants: DO NOT freak out at the customer service representatives.  We are just that, representatives.  It is likely that we have zero control over what happens in the store we work in, including the price of certain Christmas items that have had less than 24 hours to rot on our shelves.
    I'm sorry this snow globe wasn't 50% off like you thought, but honestly I think it was just in the wrong section.  Not good enough?  Let me just change the price for you so it's practically free.  Are you happy now?  No?  You'd still like to see a manager so you can complain to him about our Christmas merchandise that is STILL "ridiculously priced" and that we should fix it immediately?  Like you'll be back tomorrow to check...  Ok, I'll get right on that...


    Calm down.  Take a deep breath, check to see where you are going, (no, really, some people come in and forget where they are within a five minute time frame...), and be nice.  Treat the cashiers and the customer service representatives like real people because we are real people.  The only thing separating you from us is a counter and trust me, sometimes I wish the counter wasn't there so I can slug the person in front of me, but I smile and tell them to "Have a nice day," because it's my job and we have little to no control in what goes on around us.  Just keep that in mind if you need to do some Christmas returns or exchanges.  If you are nice to us, we'll be nice to you.  It's that simple.
    Anyway, that's basically all I have for today.  The day after Christmas can be somewhat depressing for some people, so I try to keep the spirit alive for at least another week before giving up and hoping for Valentine's Day.  The truth is nothing really happens again until summer vacation, so you're just waiting for another break in the clouds.  I will be posting again Tuesday about New Years Eve and popular trends and traditions.  Looking forward to spending time with friends again soon!  Until next time, I remain your faithful correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment